Our Building

Circa1860Our stone building in the heart of Old Town Dayton has  a past that is typical of the Old West. Built in 1860 of stone and timber, it has housed a variety of businesses; a mercantile, several pubs (including the historic Old Corner Bar), restaurants, an ice cream parlor and an auto repair shop.

The building was purchased in by Jackolyn Behan and Jerry Massad in 2005. The restoration and expansion took more than 2 years. While the structure had great bones and personality it was in terrible condition. The interior was demolished and 1000 square feet of space was added to build a new kitchen, bathrooms and storage area. The six 12 foot entry doors are original, made of wood from old growth Tahoe basin pine and hauled to Dayton by wagon in the 1800’s. Js’ Bistro open those doors to diners in December of 2007.

Our Bar
The Art Deco bar at Js' Bistro was purchased online in 2006. It was commissioned by Schiltz Brewing Co. just after the repeal of Prohibition and built by Brunswick Callan & Co. in 1933. The bar was designed for 'Lucky Lady' Saloon in the Pulman District of Chicago, a working man's pub owned by Schiltz. It was built of solid Hounduran Mahogany. The Art Deco bar was shipped from Chicago to Mound House, Nevada in 2006, where it was stored in sections for a year and integrated into the interior design of Js' Bistro during renovation of the building. It has been retrofitted with state of the art refrigeration, lighting and electric systems. Js' opened December, 2006, proudly displaying it's history of beautiful craftsmanship and design.